Mass spectrometry microbial identification system
VITEK MS is an automated mass spectrometry microbial identification system that uses Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization Time-of-Flight (MALDI-TOF) technology.
NEW! After recent additions of mycobacteria, Nocardia and moulds, the VITEK MS comprehensive CE-marked database now also includes Brucella, Candida auris and Elizabethkingia anophelis.
- Robust & accurate ID with Advanced Spectra Classifier
- Seamless integration of ID results with VITEK 2 for optimized workflow
- Complete traceability & flexibility
Clear, fast, accurate identification
In just minutes, VITEK MS can provide single-choice identifications at the species, genus, or group level. With both VITEK MS and the VITEK 2, clinicians receive quick information to adjust therapy for better overall patient care and outcomes.
bioMérieux’s proprietary Advanced Spectra Classifier offers robust and accurate results needed for optimal patient-care decisions. The VITEK MS system reads each spectrum as a series of peaks that are detected and sorted by mass and intensity. With the use of the Advanced Spectra Classifier, better discrimination is provided as every peak is considered in the calculation of the identification result.
OW MALDI-TOF works
- The target slide is prepared and introduced to a high-vacuum environment.
- A precise laser burst ionizes the sample.
- A “cloud” of proteins is released and accelerated by an electric charge.
- After passing through the ring electrode, the proteins’ Time of Flight is recorded using a formula from the time recorded.
- Proteins are detected with a sensor to create a spectrum that represents the protein makeup of each sample.
Comprehensive, regularly-updated database
VITEK® MS V3.2.0 is a CE-marked database. Population-built, it allows for better discrimination between species and accounts for diversity among strains within the same species. You get robust and accurate performance with no need to modify scores.
Spectra for each species are included; these are generated from:
- An average of >12 isolates/species and average of 35 spectra/species
- Geographical diversity of isolates
- Isolates of different sample origins (e.g. blood, tissue, etc.)
- Isolates subcultured on different media
- Isolates from different incubation times
Broad technical specifications and reference numbers
VITEK MS Technical Data
- 337 nm nitrogen laser, fixed focus
- Maximum pulse rate - 50 Hz (50 laser shots per second)
- Near normal (on-axis) incidence of the laser beam to the sample
- Laser power and laser aim under software control
- Linear flight tube of 1.2 m drift length
- Vacuum maintained by two turbomolecular pumps (nominal 250 l/s) with rotary backing
- Beam blanking to deflect unwanted high intensity signals e.g. matrix ions
- Size (w h d) - 0.7 m x 1.92 m x 0.85 m, minimum distance to wall at back is 100 mm
- Weight - 330 kg excluding data system
- 200 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1000 VA single phase OR
- 230 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1000 VA single phase
- A ‘clean’, stable and continuous mains supply is required for reliable operation
- Temperature - ambient 18° to 26° C
- Relative humidity - less than 70% non condensing
- Vibration free, firm, level floor, at least 330 kg supported at four points
- 1 to 500 kDa